Interview Tips: How to Land your Dream JobYou have graduated from college with outstanding academic credentials. Your resume is short of being spectacular. Now, you proceed to the final stage before getting hired. The question is, how do you get over that first and most challenging job interview?
For sure, it will not be easy. Let me offer tips that can help you pass this decisive stage before landing your dream job. But we need to go through the most important aspect of the process. How can you create a powerful first impression?
First Impressions Matter
Making an excellent first impression during the interview is critical. Confidence is the key to creating a powerful first impression. It may be hard at first but with a positive attitude, you can achieve this personal goal.
Simple tips to create a positive first impression:
- Give a proper handshake
- Make use of the persuasive body language
- Smile at all times
- Speak with confidence and clarity
- Maintain eye contact
- Maintain good posture
Here are some ideas for you to generate self-confidence:
- Your goal is to connect and not to impress the interviewer.
- PREPARE and PRACTICE before the actual interview.
- Be conscious of your body language.
- Practice good grooming.
- Finally, visualize a confident self.
Remember everyone is unique. Learn to embrace that truth and believe in yourself.
The Job Interview
Before going to your scheduled interview, conduct an extensive research about the company. Find out the company’s mission and vision. Check their online portfolio and you will have an idea of the company you want to be a part of. Then, prepare your resume.
- Choose the most appropriate resume to use (Chronological or Functional)
- Make it consistent and legible or readable.
- Be creative.
- Focus on your hard skills and soft skills
- Edit and check your resume before submitting.
During the interview, remember to:
- Dress appropriately. Wear clothes that are one level up the job you are applying for.
- Arrive about 15 minutes before the schedule.
- Use the restroom for final self-check.
- No chewing of gum.
- Speak with confidence.
- Do not enter the interview room with the smell of smoke in your clothing.
- Always wear a confident smile.
- Extend a proper handshake.
- Maintain eye contact and good energy level.
- Practice good posture as you enter the room, while seated and standing.
- Politely ask about their interview process. (Ask if you can follow-up on the status of your application)
After the interview, it is advisable to send a thank you email on the same day of your interview. You can send a follow-up inquiry after a week if you do not hear from the hiring manager. There is nothing wrong in following up. But refrain from getting in touch with the employer more than once a week.
Book an appointment with a Motivational Keynote Speaker, Corporate Trainer, and Image Strategist through Radiance Image Consultancy. Your organization will develop soft skills, boost customer experience, increase productivity, and empower leaders through our services. We offer various training programs which include Executive Presence and Leadership Branding Masterclass, The Impact of First Impressions, Work Ethics and Professionalism, and Minimalist Beauty Queen. Get in touch with Radiance Image for your corporate programs, keynote talks, and short workshops.
Be extraordinary, inside out.